- killing 78,000 people in England each year (1).
- There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes (2).
- When burned, cigarettes create more than 7,000 chemicals
- At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are toxic.
(1) World Lung Foundation/American Cancer Society. The Tobacco Atlas. Accessed March 2018
(2) Public Health England 2019
|20 Minutes||Your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal|
|8 hours||Carbon monoxide in your blood reduced by half and oxygen level returns to normal. This means you will be less prone to coughs and colds. Every cell in your body will benefit|
|72 hours||Breathing becomes easier. Bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase. Sense of taste returns|
|3 months||Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve as lung function increase by 10%. Skin appearance and dental hygiene improves.|
|1 year||Risk of heart attack reduced to half that of a smoker.|
|5 years||Risk of stroke reduced to half that of a smoker.|
|10 years||Risk of death from lung cancer reduced to half that of a smoker.|
Average pack of 20 cigarettes now costs £10.76 in the UK
|Cigarettes per day||5||10||20||40|
reference: 2018 Budget